Ohio school district fined $10K for trying to lose football gameThe Dayton School District (Ohio) was fined $10,000 last week after a five-month investigation concluded that one of its high school football teams tried to intentionally lose a game.
The Ohio High School Athletic Association (OHSAA) said Dunbar High School violated its bylaw requiring that teams uphold the values and integrity of education-based athletics. Sanctions also included a three-year probation and a requirement that athletic administrators attend meetings with OHSAA compliance staff.From Cleveland.com:
According to the OHSAA, Dunbar deliberately tried to lose to Belmont after being up by 20 points during its week 10 meeting on Oct. 28, 2016. The loss would not have affected Dunbar’s playoff status, but it would have put an additional Dayton school into the playoffs and allowed Dunbar to avoid having to report using an academically ineligible player in the loss.
The OHSAA investigated the incident then and ruled that Dunbar forfeit its last two games for using the ineligible player. The losses put Dunbar out of the Division II playoffs and caused a reshuffling of playoff pairings as Anderson made the No. 8 and final spot in that region. Belmont, another Dayton district high school, made the playoff field in Division III.
“This is among the most serious and disturbing incidents I have seen because it strikes at the very core of what high school sports are all about,” OHSAA Commissioner Dr. Dan Ross said in a news release. “Our mission is to teach our youngsters about responsibility, fair play and sportsmanship. The vast majority of our coaches and school administrators do that every day. Even more significant penalties were discussed, but we didn’t want to harm the kids because they were the ones caught in the middle of this.”
The OHSAA indicated that probation could be shortened by one year and $2,500 could be refunded to the school if there are no additional violations.
Click here for more on this story.