6 Qualities of Great Leaders
Leadership is more than levying authority, it’s about being a source of inspiration and empowerment for others in achieving success. It entails making decisions based on the good of the group rather than self-gain.
Great leaders aren’t passive, they’re highly motivated and believe in their vision. That sort of passion can be contagious—imprinting a similar sense of motivation and drive onto others.Below are six characteristics of great leaders.
- Sincere Enthusiasm — When leaders are sincerely enthusiastic and passionate, it’s contagious.
- Integrity — Whether it’s giving proper credit for accomplishments, acknowledging mistakes, or putting safety and quality first, great leaders exhibit integrity at all times. They do what’s right, even at their own expense.
- Communication Skills — Leaders must motivate, instruct and discipline the people they are in charge of. They can accomplish none of these things if they aren’t very skilled communicators. Not only that, poor communication can lead to poor outcomes. It’s also important to remember that listening is an integral part of communication.
- Empowerment — A good leader has faith in their ability to train and develop others. Because of this, they have the willingness to empower those they lead to acting autonomously.
- Fair Attitude — We all have personal biases. One who can think and act beyond this loop is what makes them different from the crowd. These biases are one of the factors why most leaders fail to achieve greater heights. Good leaders keep biases and unfairness out of the window and create a culture that does not promote or acknowledge this attitude.
- Optimism — Always look for possibilities. When you’re certain something can’t be done, you won’t inspire anyone to try. When you shoot down ideas without actively looking for potential, you destroy creativity.
In this month’s edition, the Champions & Inspiration Issue, we identify seven essentials for great teams, cultivating a memorable legacy, and how to identify team captains. We also feature fix training facilities that define excellence while displaying the most innovative products for the upcoming year.
As John Quincy Adams stated, “if your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more, and become more, you are a leader.”