August 22, 2012 • Sports Medicine & Nutrition
Jason Abels: Most Common Injuries Treated By Trainers
|Jason Abels, Head Trainer
Here’s a list of the typical injures that Arrowhead trainers Jason Abels and Rachel Juntz handle for five of the school’s 30 sports:
- Football: Concussions, fractures and other orthopedic surgical needs.
- Basketball: Ankle injuries.
- Baseball: Shoulder-related injuries and elbow injuries from throwing.
- Hockey: Concussions. “We used to see a lot of separated shoulders, but fewer now since they’ve reduced the hitting,” Abels says. “We don’t see a whole lot of ankle injuries with the skate locking down the ankle.”
- Track: Shin splints followed by hip flexor and hamstring strains. For distance runners, it’s tendinitis.