Poll: Does your school offer leadership training for athletes?In January, Coach & Athletic Director asked coaches if their school offered a program to help develop leadership in athletes — captains council, leadership club, etc. Just one-third said that their school has such a program.
Here are the complete results along with some comments from respondents.• Each sport is asked to work on intentional leadership within its own season. We work leadership with all athletes in the weight room, but would like a more formal setting crowd control which might encourage more men and women to get into officiating.
• Captain Coalition: We work on leadership with the captains and ways to improve athletic programs.
• We have a seven-member leadership council that is elected by the players.
• We have a monthly meeting covering all topics related to leadership.
• We have a Student Athlete Leadership Team.
• Our council has five spring meetings on developing leadership.
• As a new AD, I am working on developing a leadership program.