.

NCAA DI Athletes Have 90% Graduation Rate

November 20, 2020 / Athletic Administration
According to recent data released by the NCAA Division I Graduation Sucess Rate, college student-athletes are earning degrees at the highest rate ever recorded.

Nine out of every 10 student-athletes who started college in 2013 earned degrees — an increase of one percent over the rate of students who entered school in 2012, according to an issued press release from the NCAA.

ncaa
Photo: Charamelody / Creative Commons

“The commitment of Division I college athletes to the classroom is incredible, and we celebrate their academic success,” NCAA President Mark Emmert said in the release. “To see 90% of student-athletes accomplish the ultimate goal of college graduation is a testament to their hard work and dedication. We must also support initiatives that help the remaining 10% of student-athletes earn their degrees. The NCAA applauds the achievements of student-athletes and will continue to support their goals in the classroom, in competition and in life.”

Diving deeper into the data shows a four-percent increase in men’s basketball players earning a degree, including a six percent jump in the last year for black men’s basketball student-athletes. Additionally, women’s basketball bumped up by two percent with black women’s basketball players rising three percent.

This year’s rate surpasses by 10 points the 80% goal set by former NCAA President Myles Brand in 2006.

The adoption of more academic rules and policy changes, intended to improve the academic performance of student-athletes, have been successful, according to the data.

Over the past 19 years, 33,505 more college athletes graduated than would have had the GSR remained at 74%, the GSR the year it was introduced.

Just in 2020, the increase accounts for 3,872 more student-athlete graduates.

“We celebrate the achievement of Division I students engaged in intercollegiate athletics and their commitment to excellence in athletics and academics. The Committee on Academics remains deeply committed to supporting the success of our students, and I am grateful to the members of our Committee for their efforts,” said John J. DeGioia, president of Georgetown, chair of the NCAA Board of Governors and chair of the Committee on Academics, in the release. “Our goal always remains the same — to see the number of college graduates continue to grow.”

To read the full press release on the NCAA Division I student-athlete graduation rates, click here. And follow these links to view 2020 graduation data results from Division I, Division II, and Division III.