.

Wrestling Team Cuts Events Due To Athletes’ Alleged Nude Locker-Room Conduct

August 17, 2011 / Wrestling
Wisconsin Rapids Tribune

http://www.wisconsinrapidstribune.com/article/20110816/WRT0101/110816087/Update-Wisconsin-Rapids-wrestlers-eligible-compete-during-upcoming-season?odyssey=nav|head

The athletic director for Wisconsin Rapids Lincoln High School said this afternoon that four teenagers accused of misconduct in the wrestling team locker room during the 2010-11 season are eligible to compete in sports this year.

“No one has told them they can’t come out for everything,” said Bill Vickroy, athletic director.

Following a review of Lincoln’s wrestling program, school officials decided to reduce the number of events the team will participate in for the 2011-12 season, the Wisconsin Rapids school announced today.

The decision comes as four Lincoln wrestlers face disorderly conduct charges for allegedly dancing naked around a 15-year-old student, mocking him and touching the younger boy with their genitals while in the locker room.

The school voluntarily will withdraw from The Clash — National High School Wrestling Duals tournament, scheduled for Dec. 30-31, and the Cheesehead Wrestling event, slated for Jan. 6-7, according to a school news release.

Instead of a maximum 14 events, the team will participate in no more than 11 varsity events during the season, according to the news release. It also will participate in Wisconsin Valley Conference meets, including one set for Feb. 4, as well as the Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletic Association tournament series, including both individual and state tournaments.

Members of the Wisconsin Rapids School Board met in closed session last week to discuss “student conduct issues and … specific personnel problems,” according to the meeting agenda. The board took no action as a result of that meeting, a district spokeswoman said Monday.


Leave a Reply