NFHS: Participation in high school basketball grows nationwide
August 9, 2017 / Winning HoopsParticipation in high school basketball nationwide grew by close to 5,000 athletes last year, according to the latest survey by the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS).
The NFHS released its annual participation survey earlier this week, showing that participation in all sports had increased for a 28th consecutive year. High school sports participation now totals 7,963,535 students.Here are some of the highlights in basketball:
- 550,305 boys play nationwide — up 3,877 from the previous year.
- 74 fewer schools offered boys basketball during the 2016-17 school year.
- 430,368 girls play nationwide — up 988 from the previous year.
- 44 more schools offered girls basketball during the 2016-17 school year.
- Overall, participation in high school basketball is up 4,865 players.
Basketball remains the most-offered sport at high schools across the nation (more than 36,000 schools). Track and field is second, and football remains the most-participated sport in high school.
Last year, basketball lost 5,073 players nationwide in both the boys and girls game.
Click here to read more about this year’s participation survey from the NFHS.