Using AI to innovate ultrasounds for sports medicine professionals
Innovations in AI are allowing ultrasounds to reach its full potential in optimizing performance and recovery in a proactive manner for athletes.
Ultrasounds, or musculoskeletal (MSK) ultrasounds can assess injuries by visualizing muscle, tendon, ligament, and joint integrity in real-time. They can additionally detect early symptoms of overuse injuries and monitor rehabilitation progress.
A recent story from Soner Matt Haci’s Medium details the potential of AI-integrated ultrasounds. Below is an excerpt from Haci’s story.
While a powerful tool, traditional ultrasound has barriers limiting its wider adoption for athlete performance:
- Requires years of training for accurate image capture and analysis
- Limited workflow integration and data accessibility
- Qualitative rather than metrics-driven information
Now, AI automation makes ultrasound’s benefits achievable anywhere by anyone. Intelligent algorithms guide ultrasound usage, enhance imaging, and extract biometrics to provide actionable insights.
PONS exemplifies the potential of AI-guided ultrasound. Their solution transforms MSK ultrasound with features like:
- Easy-to-follow scanning instructions for precise positioning without extensive training
- Automated image enhancement for superb visualization
- Integrated with training load monitoring and electronic health record (EHR) systems
- Quantitative data pulled from ultrasound scans showing tissue changes and biomechanical stress
- Cloud-based reporting dashboard with alerts for coaches and physicians
- Ability to share key metrics across the care team for coordinated health optimization