NHSACA Convention presents ‘special’ opportunity for coaches
Coaches have a special opportunity this summer to learn from some of the best minds in the team sports industry.
The National High School Athletic Coaches Association’s National Convention will be held from June 25 to 27 in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. The annual event offersthree days of sport specific sessions for coaches while honoring the 2018 coaches of the year and newest members of the hall of fame.
This year’s general session speakers include:
- Derek Miles: U.S. Olympian and pole vault coach at the University of South Dakota. Miles won a bronze medal at the
2008 Olympics in Beijing and earned a master’s degree in athletic administration from the University of South Dakota.
- Dr. Margaret Ottley: Professor and sports psychologist. Ottley was one of two sports psychologists working with the USA track and field team in Beijing. She also accompanied the Trinidad and Tobago elite teams to the Olympic Games in Greece.
- Mike Denny: Head wrestling coach at Maryville University in St. Louis. Denny
has 49 years of coaching experience, winning seven NCAA national championships with three national coach of the year honor throughout his career.
Being introduced at this year’s convention is Coach & Athletic Director’s 40 Under 40 awards. The program will honor the top up-and-comers in the team sports industry, recognizing coaches, athletic directors, suppliers and association leaders. The 40 Under 40 awards will be presented June 25, and honorees will be recognized in the July/August edition of Coach & Athletic Director.
Other key dates at this year’s NHSACA National Convention include:
- June 25-27: Sport specific sessions for coaches.
- June 26: National Hall of Fame induction ceremony.
- June 27: National Coach of the Year awards banquet.
Register for the convention by June 15 at bit.ly/NHSACAReg.